- Interview with full-time Derby Fire staff. If accepted, a background check is run to ensure you have a valid driver's license and no outstanding warrants.
- A Fit for Duty form filled out and signed by a physician.
- Attend a minimum of 30+ hours of basic firefighter training. This is normally done three hours a week on Thursday evenings.
- Obtain a State of Kansas Firefighter I Certificate (FFI) within one year and Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) within two years.
- Pass a physical agility test given after the 30+ hours of training. This test is required annually for all firefighters who wear air packs and enter environments that are dangerous to life and health.
- Perform a minimum of 12 hours per month of scheduled on-duty time.
- Be available to answer calls when needed.
- Live within lawful drive time of less than 25 minutes to Station 81.
New firefighters are probationary until they pass the 24+ hours of training and obtain FFI certification as well as EMR or EMT certification.
View the application.
If you have questions, contact Firefighter Skyeler Reynolds at 788-5819 or SkyelerReynolds@derbyweb.com.