Email | 316-619-3626
The Mayor is the only official of the governing body who is elected at-large by all voters of the city. The Mayor presides over City Council meetings, serves as spokesperson for the community, facilitates communication and understanding among elected officials, assists the City Council in setting goals and policies by participating in its deliberations, and serves as an ambassador and defender of the community.
With approval of the City Council, the Mayor makes appointments to fill vacant City Council seats and appoints members of city advisory boards and commissions. The Mayor also makes proclamations and serves as a key representative in intergovernmental relations.
The Mayor votes on employment matters of the city manager and municipal judge, charter ordinances, and matters prescribed by state law (i.e., zoning changes). On regular ordinances and other matters, the Mayor votes only to break a tie.
More on Mayor White
- Elected as city council member representing Ward I in April 2011 and elected as Mayor in April 2015 and re-elected in November 2019.
- Former Planning Commission member.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors for the El Paso Water Company.
- Honorary Commander of the 931st Air Refueling Operation Wing at McConnell.
- Ex officio member of the Derby Public Library Board of Trustees.
- His priorities for the City of Derby include public safety (police and fire services), economic development, park enhancements, and maintaining financial stability.
- His goals for the community include maintaining small town quality of life while dealing with a growing community, supporting the businesses, and maintaining existing neighborhoods.
- White has lived in Derby since 1987. He was employed at Spirit AeroSystems (formerly Boeing) since 1984, and recently retired in March of 2020. He earned his associate degree from Cowley County Community College.
- Mayor White is married to Pam. They have three children and nine grandchildren.
- Member of Life.Church Derby.