Economic Development Guidelines & Incentives
- Economic Development Guidelines & Incentive Policy: The City is focused on encouraging growth that fits the needs of our residents and businesses. We follow a multi-year economic development plan approved by the City Council that is designed to guide our efforts. The 2022-2024 Economic Development Plan focuses on three primary areas for economic development: create a vibrant and diverse community to attract people and businesses, promote growth of businesses, and actively market and promote Derby. Use of incentives should be applied to the types of projects and locations in the community that advance the goals of the current Economic Development Plan. The incentive policy guidelines are intended to provide a framework for consideration of incentives.
- State of Kansas Incentive Programs: Information about incentives offered by the State of Kansas.
Derby ReinvestmentTo incentivize and promote infill & redevelopment in older parts of Derby, reduced and waived fees will apply to the following:
- All commercially zoned areas where, as determined by the Zoning Administrator, development was initiated before 1996.
- The West End Business Park.
- The redevelopment of the Pleasantview Elementary School site.
- Derby Reinvestment Brochure.
Business AttractionLocated just 15 minutes southeast of downtown Wichita, Derby offers an ideal location for new and expanding businesses. Major employers in and around Derby include:
Marketplace for GrowthThe West End Business Park (WEBP) may be the ideal place for your new or existing company. Shovel-ready sites ranging from one to three acres are available immediately at a price of just 70 cents per square foot. Please call 316-788-3081 for additional information about qualifying businesses and the available lots.
If you are a home-based business or are interested in building a new business from the ground up, many area resources are available to assist you in developing your business. We are proud of the many companies that began as small, home-based businesses. See the Register and Start Your Business web page for more information.