Backflow Prevention

The City of Derby water cross-connection control rules comply with federal and state law to require backflow prevention devices for lawn sprinkler systems. Cross connections are points at which the drinking water supply is interconnected with hazardous liquids, gases, or other unsafe substances. The rules and regulations were established by the Kansas Department of Health & Environment in accordance with the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act. According to City policy, commercial systems must be tested every year and residential systems tested every two years.

Backflow Device Test Report

Print, fill out and email to or drop off at City Hall, 611 N. Mulberry Rd.

What is a backflow prevention device?

Backflow prevention devices are mechanical devices that protect drinking water from hazardous contaminants found in lawn sprinkler systems (herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, bacteria, and organisms), which may originate in the soil around sprinkler heads. Backflow prevention devices are installed where the water line comes into your house to prevent water from flowing backward. When drinking water is pulled through the main line (when you use your sink, toilet, etc.), it can siphon water through one of your branch lines (sprinkler system line). When the water is siphoned, it pulls whatever is in the line with it. In a sprinkler system, herbicides and pesticides can be siphoned through the drinking water system through sprinkler heads. A backflow prevention device prevents water and contaminants from getting through. Backflow Prevention Devices

Who needs a backflow prevention device?

Any resident or business with a lawn sprinkler irrigation system connected to the drinking water supply. If you have a private well not connected to the drinking water supply, you are not required to have a backflow prevention device. Please call the City at 788-1424 to update your records. Automatic irrigation systems are required to have rain sensors, per City Ordinance. Rain Sensor Requirements

How do I register my backflow device?

Residents are required to have a Certified Backflow Installer/Tester inspect their backflow device. On completion of the inspection, your contractor should submit your test results to the City of Derby. 

If you do not have a lawn service contractor, a list of certified testers is maintained by the City of Wichita. View the Certified Testers list. You may also call City Hall at 788-1424 for assistance.   

How do I know if there is a problem with my water?

If you notice a change in the smell, color, taste, or presence of foreign objects in your drinking water, call the City immediately at 788-1424, or call 788-1557 after regular business hours to notify the Derby Police Department. Why call the police? Because these signs indicate a possible leak in the water system, which would affect you and your neighbors. If you have questions, please call 788-1424.