Derby KS Homepage

Golf Carts

golf cart

At the April 25, 2023 meeting, the Derby City Council approved updates to the municipal code concerning golf carts. View the ordinance. Read the news release

The ordinance allows golf carts to be driven on Derby streets with a speed limit of 30 mph or less. Golf carts may cross at any intersection with a speed limit of 40 mph or less and must cross at signal lights on streets of 40 mph or greater.

What is considered a golf cart?  

"Golf cart" means a motor vehicle that does not have fewer than three wheels in contact with the ground, an unladen weight of not more than 1,800 pounds, is designed to be and is operated at not more than 25 miles per hour and is designed to carry not more than four persons, including the driver.

Where can I operate my golf cart?

Golf carts registered with the City may be driven by licensed drivers on any street or roadway within the corporate limits of the City with a posted speed limit of 30 mph or less. Golf carts are prohibited on sidewalks, hike and bike paths, trails, or any other pedestrian walkway unless designated as a golf cart path. See map.

 Can I cross streets in my golf cart?

Golf carts may cross at any intersection with a speed limit of less than 40 mph. For any streets with speed limits of 40 or greater, a golf cart must cross at a signalized intersection. See map.

Do I need a driver's license?

Yes, you are required to have a valid driver's license if operating the vehicle on a city street. Golf carts are not to be driven by children on city streets. Safety is of utmost importance as you are sharing the street with larger, faster moving vehicles.

Do DUI and open container laws apply to golf carts?

Yes, all traffic laws apply to golf carts being driven on streets.

Do I need liability insurance on my golf cart if I drive it on the street?

Yes, you must have insurance and provide proof of such if stopped by the police.

Can I drive my golf cart at night?

Between sunset and sunrise, your golf cart must be properly equipped with headlights and a slow-moving vehicle emblem as required by state law.

How do I register my golf cart?

Contact the Derby Police Department Records Section at 788-1557 (open 24/7). Proof of insurance is required, and the registration fee is $25 each calendar year. You will receive a decal that must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. Registration will be valid for the calendar year and can be renewed each January.

Questions? Contact the Derby Police Department at 788-1557.

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow